第十九章(1)
“THE PANTHEON CANNOT remain unfilled,” Zeus said, stroking his beard.
“万神殿的神位不能一直空缺。”宙斯说道,捋着他的胡须。
“You are wise, Sky Father,” Iris said.
“您很英明,天父。”伊里斯说道。
“The mortals will come to wonder why there is indecision in Olympus if you do not choose a new God of War soon.”
“如果您不尽快选出一位新的战神,凡人们会开始疑惑,为何奥林匹斯会犹豫不决。”
“There is no lack of war below,” Zeus said, chuckling.
“下界的战争可从不缺少。”宙斯轻笑着说。
The beginning of a laugh died quickly.
刚起的笑声很快消失了。
He looked up at Athena standing silently before his throne, then at Iris, at his right hand.
他抬头看了看静静站在他王座前的雅典娜,然后又看了看在他右手边的伊里斯。
Who could he trust?
他能信任谁?
Athena was the Warrior Goddess, but she had chosen Kratos to strike down Ares.
雅典娜是战争女神,但她选择了奎托斯去铲除阿瑞斯。
He had approved and had aided her, but she had manipulated him.
他当时批准并协助了她,但她却操纵了他。
It had to be that way or the outcome with Kratos would not have been so disastrous.
若非当时如此,与奎托斯的结果也不会如此灾难性。
“But the mortals need a god figure to worship—in addition to you, mighty Zeus.”
“但是凡人们需要一个神祇来崇拜——除了您之外的神,伟大的宙斯。”
“Yes, you are right, Iris.
“是的,你说得对,伊里斯。
A new God of War is needed, but which god would forsake his current position to sit on the throne that so recently held Ares and Kratos?”
需要一位新的战神,但哪位神会放弃自己现有的位置,去坐上那把不久前还属于阿瑞斯和奎托斯的王座呢?”
“I can spread the word for you,” Iris said.
“我可以为您传达消息。”伊里斯说。
“Allow me to race to the far corners of the world, to every point in Olympus, to the Underworld and the depths of Poseidon’s realm—everywhere!—and proclaim a contest to choose a new God of War.”
“请允许我奔赴世界的偏远角落,奔赴奥林匹斯的每个角落,奔赴冥界和波塞冬领域的深处——每个地方!——去宣告一场选拔新战神的竞赛。”
“A contest?” Zeus frowned.
“竞赛?”宙斯皱起眉头。
“What need is there of a contest if I am to decide the matter?”
“如果是由我来决定此事,又何需竞赛?”
“You want the appearance of it being open to all, but of course it would be you who decides.
“您希望表面上对所有人开放,但当然最终决定权在您。
After all, who is wiser atop Mount Olympus?”
毕竟,在奥林匹斯山上,还有谁比您更睿智呢?”
Iris moved closer and whispered, “You might use this as a way of seeing who is loyal to you and who is … less so.”
伊里斯凑近了些,低声道:“您或许可以借此看看谁对您忠诚,而谁……又没那么忠诚。”
“What’s that you say? Who is disloyal?” A thunderbolt formed in his hand.
“你说什么?谁不忠?”一道雷霆在他手中成形。
“Tell me the name, and I’ll strike them down!”
“告诉我名字,我就劈了他们!”
Iris coyly looked over her shoulder in Athena’s direction, then said, “Your edict still stands, Lord of All the Sky and Earth.
伊里斯故作羞涩地朝雅典娜的方向瞥了一眼,然后说道:“您的法令依然有效,天地之主。
(楼主:“天地之主”风格上听起来是不是有点偏东方了?或许应该译作“天空与大地的尊主”

)
No god can kill another.
神不能杀死另一位神。
You should not exempt yourself from this.”
您也不应将自己排除在外。”
“Why not? I’m king. I can do as I please!”
“为何不可?我是众神之王。我可以为所欲为!”
“You are the mightiest of the mighty, but you cannot stand against all the gods.
“您是强者中的最强者,但您无法与所有神对抗。
Many plot and scheme against you even as we speak.”
就在我们说话的时候,仍许多神正在密谋对付您。”
“Tell me who they are! I command you, Iris.
“告诉我是谁!我命令你,伊里斯。
You are my Messenger of the Gods.
你现在是我的神使。
Mine!”
我一个人的!”
“I am not like Hermes,” she said, bowing deeply and sending small sparkles of rainbow bits to the base of Zeus’ throne.
“我和赫耳墨斯不一样。”她说着,深深鞠躬,些许彩虹碎片如火花般洒落在宙斯王座的基座旁。
“It is painful for me to relate this, since I do not care to speak ill of another god, but Hermes is secretly known to divulge the contents of his messages to others, sometimes out of friendship but other times from spite.
“向我透露这些让我感到痛苦,因为我不愿说其他神的坏话,但众所周知,赫耳墨斯会私下将消息内容泄露给他人,有时是出于友谊,有时则是出于怨恨。
Duty and honor bind me to my job as surely as love and respect bind me to you, Zeus.
职责与荣誉将我束缚于我的工作,就如同爱与尊敬将我束缚于您一样,宙斯。
Any missive entrusted to me will be delivered … only for your eyes and ears.”
任何托付给我的信函都会被送达……且只为您所见所闻。”